LEAD PARTS & CASTING PROCESS
THEATER CLUB COMBINED SHOW
how lead selection works FOR THE theater clubs--grades 5 and higher
Students wishing to be considered for leads need to have their parents sign them up for a 5-10 minute phone conversation the weekend of October 7th - 8th,
Students Grades 5 and higher:
- Parents sign up for an in-person or phone interview with the camp. Sign-up sheet available on our website here.
- Students will share with us what roles they believe they'd enjoy or like to be considered for, including any roles that they -wouldn't- want to do. It is important for children to have become familiar with the parts if they have distinct preferences. They should also let us know any gender preferences (onstage) and the relative size of the roles they are open to.
- Students prepare a 30 second song of any genre to be sung over the phone (if they want to be considered for a solo or duet).
- If needed, be given a quick vocal range test over the phone to determine highest and lowest voice range.
Once the casting picture is complete I will notify parents via email on Monday October 9th the part or parts that have been assigned.
To see currently available times for a lead phone conversation the weekend of October 7th - 8th, CLICK HERE
LIST OF PARTS IN RAMAYANA theater club autumn 2017
For each lead part we list
- the relative size of the part
- The number of songs, and whether the songs are solo, duet, or group.
- A little bit about each character
- The gender on stage of the character, or whether that is flexible. For the casting, either boys or girls can be considered to play either gender, should they wish
Example of How to Read These Listings
Character Name M/F (whether the character is male or female on stage, or either) Character description
# of songs character is in whether there are any solo sung lines or duets
**Note: In Rovainen Musicals productions, girls and boys can play either girls or boys, as they wish. For example, a boy could audition for Sita and a girl for Ravana.
Larger lead parts (sOME OF THESE MIGHT BE SPLIT for THE PERFORMANCE)
Rama M The character around whom the action centers. Becomes king, exiled, attempts to rescue Sita
In parts of 3 songs short duet and solo
Lakshmana M Rama's war-like brother who accompanies Rama and Sita to forest; helps Rama rescue Sita
In parts of 2-3 songs some solo parts
Vibishina M/F Ravana's brother/sister who urges caution, comforts Sita, and ultimately defects to Rama's side
In two songs One short solo; one very challenging and long solo song
Hanuman M Monkey king who helps Rama and Lakshmana rescue Sita
In two songs solos during both songs
Sita F Declines suitors until marrying Rama, exiled with him; kidnapped by demon king
In parts of 2 songs one short solo, one medium solo
small - Medium Lead parts
Surphanakha Demon Form F Ravana's sister who attempts to lure Rama into marrying her; riles Ravana up to kidnap Sita
One song solo during this song
Ravana--Head #5 M/F This is the demon who kidnaps Sita. He is usually in his ten-headed form but occasionally is singular.
15 lines In 3 songs solo in one song 16 sung lines
Ravana--Head #6 M/F Demon head with some speaking lines
(Sings in a group song)
Surphanakha Human Form F Ravana's sister's human form when she tries to get Rama to marry her
Janaka M Sita's father
Dasaratha M Rama's father
In one song a few solo lines in that song
Sumanthra M/F Rama's father's minister [this is a medium part if we do the song Love Just Makes Things Worse]
In one-three songs Potential solo singing in Na Jane
Viswamithra M/F Rama's father's minister
In one song
Kausayla F Rama's mother
In one song Na Jane solo
individual parts (in one scene and/or a few spoken lines
Janaka's Steward M/F Introduces Bowlifters 5 spoken lines
Human Narrator A few spoken lines
Bowlifters Try to impress King Janaka with their strength, but fail
Not everyone wants to have a lead part; and some students who try for lead parts might not be selected for them. All students (save the five main leads) in the theater club play in one or more group parts.
CAST PARTS (Inspirations Theater picks who plays these roles)
Ravana's heads M/F Parts of the 10-headed demon king. On stage most times Ravana is
A spoken line each In one songs
Na Jane Chorus M/F Help sing a challenging song in the play
Sita's Demon Tormentors M/F Try to persuade Sita to marry Ravana
Some of have one spoken line In one song 20 sung lines
CAST GROUP PARTS (ALL CLUB STUDENTS PLAY THESE ROLES)
Human or Demon Narrators Help sing the first song in the play The Ramayana
Ayodhyan Villagers Take part in the Bazaar Song
Demon Rakshasas or Monkeys All take part in the War Song. Demons sing in You Need A Wife, Monkeys in Bridge Song and I Am Hanuman
OPTIONAL GROUP PARTS
Sita's Servants M/F Try to persuade Sita to marry some of her various suitors Sing the song You Should Marry
Dasaratha's Court M/F Tell Rama how to be king in song How To Be King