Ways to help at camp 2018
Want to help enhance our campers' experiences, help our performances sparkle, and have fun doing it? We welcome parents / guardians to be part of camp in:
- One-time / one-day activities
- longer positions over several days [variable hours; see below]
- spontaneous assistance when you stop by camp
Many hands make a show shine! Most activities occur during the camp session itself. The 3-4 days leading up to the final performances have the most activities going on, but you can also help before camp begins.
If you feel you have some skill, talent, or service to offer the camp that is not listed below, feel free to talk to us about your idea / proposal.
NOTE: for certain activities, if you are working directly with the children, and/or have potential times when you are the only adult present, you may be required to have a background check and/or attend a child abuse prevention training (~2-3 hours).
3-4 POSITIONS | VARIABLE HOURS 1 - 30
Assistants will do anything from gathering materials, sewing or altering, fitting the students, and potentially help backstage for one or more of the performances
- Worktimes are variable in focus and length.
*Backstage Dressing Room Assistant
4-6 POSITIONS, PERFORMANCE MAX | 3.5 HOURS
Help keep order and calm backstage. For younger students be prepared to help with costume changes.
- 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm Friday performance
- 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm Saturday performance
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Friday dress rehearsal
6 OR MORE POSITIONS | 15-20 hours
Bring your orchestral talents to our show! Looking for strings, brass, woodwinds, and are open to creative instrumentation as well.
- Two 2-hour rehearsals without the kids. Times and dates not yet scheduled; likely Sunday afternoons or weekday evenings instead.
- Two 4-hour rehearsals with the kids / two performances:
- Thursday 9:00 am – 1 pm
- Friday 9:00 am – 1 pm
- Friday 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Saturday 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Performance Usher / Greeter
6 POSITIONS, 3 PER PERFORMANCE | ~3 HOURS PER SHOW
Welcome guests to show; help seat those who need assistance; inform people in lobby when show is about to start; answer questions from patrons; help tidy theater after performance
- Friday performance 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Saturday performance 1:45 pm – 4:15 pm
**Intermission concession coordinator
2 POSITIONS, 2 PERFORMANCES ~1 HOUR PER SHOW; +1-2 HOURS ORGANIZATIONAL WORK BEFORE SHOWS
Help solicit and gather food and drinks for concession table from local organizations and parents; Set up food and drinks before show; monitor table during intermission; help with clean-up.
- Friday performance 6:10 pm – 6:30 pm, 7:30 pm – 8:00 pm
- Saturday performance 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm, 3:00 – 3:30 pm
**Set Design / Building Coordinator (Portland only)
1 POSITION | 10-35 HOURS
Work with individuals and groups to help sets come together, Your team will be anything from one-time volunteers to our counselor interns to dedicated work-trade participants.
- July 9 – 22 Variable hours; likely afternoons
Set Assistant (Portland Only)
2-4 POSITIONS | 2-15 HOURS
Under direction of Camp Director and Set Coordinator, assist in building / painting sets for production.
July 9 – 22 Variable hours; likely afternoons)
2-3 POSITIONS | 4-6 HOURS
Help gather or make properties for the show as guided by Camp Director or Assistant Director. Properties could include (fake) swords, knights' helmets, scrolls, cups for tables, etc.
- Variable dates; properties need to be gathered and ready ideally by mid-camp
**Requires committing to the entire time listed
*Works most efficiently when someone commits to the entire time listed, but can work if we have multiple people performing the position at different times during camp. (splitting the position)
(No star) Works when people can give anywhere from one hour to the full amount, depending on the position